With recent advances in lithium-ion technology, lift truck fleet managers have more power source options than ever. As lithium-ion batteries gain attention as an alternative to lead-acid batteries, it is important to consider the potential trade-offs involved for different applications.
There are several benefits to using lithium-ion batteries. They:
- Are generally more efficient than lead-acid batteries.
- Have longer run times.
- Can be charged more quickly and efficiently.
- Can be opportunity charged during operator breaks without adversely affecting battery life.
- Do not emit gas during charging so they do not require special battery rooms.
- Are sealed units that do not require watering or expose your employees to hazardous chemicals during battery servicing.
However, since the technology is relatively new, there is still a lot of uncertainty surrounding its long-term return on investment given its higher cost.
As a total solutions provider, Crown can help you evaluate your application to determine if lithium-ion batteries are a practical alternative power source for your fleet. Some key questions to consider include:
- How many hours do your trucks operate per shift, per day?
- What is the appropriate battery and charger size for my application?
- How many breaks do operators have? How long are they?
- What changes need to be made to training and safety programs?
- Do any changes need to be made to the facility?
- Are the forklifts qualified for lithium-ion technology?
In addition to delivering innovative lift trucks and material handling equipment, Crown offers a wide variety of smart warehouse solutions to optimize your operations. Helping you maximize the efficiency of your fleet with thoughtful recommendations is one of the many ways we can partner with you for success. Crown can provide knowledgeable insight to help you determine the best power source for your application. To learn more or to schedule a consultation, please contact your local Crown dealer.